The kids will be...Chopping, Tearing, Grating, Rolling
“A salad in an edible container”. These are fun to make, messy to eat and a pleasure from start to finish!
A fun, tasty and healthy way to get kids to eat salad and vegetables! As long as you have the noodles, mint, coriander and spring onion you can add whatever salad you like. Make sure not to overfill them so you can roll them up beautifully!
Rice paper wrappers - available from almost all Chinese/Vietnamese supermarkets.
1 packet of vermicelli rice noodles
3 spring onions
2 bell peppers (red or yellow)
½ cup roasted peanuts
1 bunch of mint
½ bunch coriander
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
Juice of 1 lime
½ tablespoon water
1. Cook the noodles following the instructions on the packet. Make sure to rinse them really well in cold water after they finish cooking to stop them getting too soft and sticky.
2. Prepare all the vegetables: (remember - when making these with kids they don't have to look neat!)
Spring onions can be snipped with scissors or ripped into strips, cucumber chopped into chunks, carrots peeled and grated, salad ripped, peppers chopped, snipped or snapped into pieces and the mint and coriander picked from the stalks.
3. Roughly chop the peanuts with a knife or in a food processor.
Making the rolls:
1. Before making the rolls you need to set yourself up with 3 plates. One with warm water, one to roll the rolls on and one to place the finished rolls onto. Set out all your ingredients so they are easy to reach including the noodles.
2. For each roll: submerge a rice wrapper in the warm water for approximately 5 seconds before taking out and placing on your rolling plate.
3. Now place a bit of everything, noodles, salad and herbs in the middle of the bottom half of the rice paper. Don't be tempted to put too much as it will be difficult to roll!
4. To roll, start by folding in the sides of the wrapper then the bottom before tightly rolling up. The rice paper should stick to its self.
5. Place your finished roll onto the separate plate and then make another one!
Mix all the ingredients together and serve in a small bowl. Dip the rolls in the sauce then eat - yum!