We’ve teamed up with the brilliant Eating Better and their ‘Anything is Pulsable’ campaign to highlight the cost saving benefits of swapping meat for beans and pulses, as well as the health benefits.
Here at Kids Kitchen we love beans and pulses. In our sessions we cook with simple plant-based ingredients – we avoid dairy, eggs and meat. This is the best way we have found to create cheap, sustainable and inclusive family cook sessions!
We love cooking with children and here are our top tips on getting children involved:
- Keep it simple with easy recipes. Pick recipes with short cooking times and pre cook an ingredient before if needed, for example baking root vegetables
- Encourage children to feel everything with their fingers, ask them if they’d like to try the raw ingredients
- Using child friendly knifes or scissors, get them involved in the snipping and chopping
- Don’t wait until they’re hungry
- It’s about having fun, not perfect dishes
We’ve put together one our favourite recipe couscous volcanoes and turned into two recipe activity cards – one for you to try at home with your children and one in your setting with a group of children. This is not just a recipe card! but an activity too, get tips, tricks and ideas of getting the children involved when cooking together.
By signing up to receive the recipe you give permission to be added to our mailing list – you can opt out at any time!
Fancy coming along to one of our sessions? Check out our timetable here and find your nearest hub.
Eating Better is a movement for change of sixty organisations working to accelerate the transition from producing and eating too much meat and dairy to a fairer, healthier and more sustainable food system that is better for animal welfare and for nature.