Making pizzas from scratch is a great activity for kids - they can each personalise their pizza with their arrangement of toppings!
1 kg strong bread flour
625 ml tepid water
3 x 7g sachets dried yeast
1 level tablespoon fine sea salt flour, for dusting
Tinned chopped tomatoes
A selection of vegetables, e.g. pepper (red, green or yellow), courgette, fresh tomato, spinach (fresh or frozen) mushrooms, aubergine, kale, onion, garlic, leeks, fennel, rocket, sweetcorn
Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Red pepper flakes/dried oregano to garnish
1. Place the flour in a bowl, add the yeast and salt and mix.
2. In the bowl, or on a clean surface, make a well in the mixture and slowly add the water a bit at a time. Bring in the flour from the sides mixing as you go. If fingers get sticky, add dry flour to your hands and rub them together, the mixture should just peel off.
3. When it is nearly all mixed start to get a little more aggressive bringing all the remaining flour into the mix. The dough should be less sticky now, some flours need more or less water than others so adjust if needs be.
4. Now you can start kneading. Kids love this bit pushing, folding, slapping, poking, rolling, squidging. 5 minutes should be enough but the longer the better. It is done when the dough is silky and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a large bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm moist place until it has doubled in size or until you need it.
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
2. To prepare your vegetables, lightly steam the greens if using and chop, snap, press and rip the rest into whatever size you like on your pizza. Place in bowls and set aside.
3. Time to take out the risen dough and knock it back. Kids love this bit, squashing, bashing and flicking the dough to watch it deflate.
4. Break the dough into balls and roll out flat with your rolling pin. Place onto oiled baking paper or trays before putting on the toppings.
5. Squirt a large blob of tomato puree onto your base and spread it all over using the back of a spoon, then add the chopped tomatoes spreading in the same way.
6. Place on your own choice of toppings, finishing with the olives and seeds. You can also add cheese if you want.
7. Place on a tray in the hot oven for 15 minutes or until browned and sizzling.